Which of these Currently Trending Startup and Business Buzzwords do you Know?
“Have you ever sat in a meeting where the person who threw around the most buzzwords and business jargon sounded the smartest?” asks Phiona Martin, career strategist and industrial psychologist who is known to regularly dole out incredible professional advice on her LinkedIn page. If you have, and were at a total loss as to what they meant, help is here.
See below for Martin’s curated list of some trending ones and their meanings.
1. Boil the Ocean – to take on an overly large and potentially impossible task
2. Bandwidth – resources or capacity needed to do something
3. It’s on my Radar – I’m aware of it
4. One Throat to Choke – holding one person accountable
5. Move the Needle – to make a difference
6. Deep Dive – brainstorming or a more thorough analysis
7. Ideate – coming up with ideas
8. Unpack – examine
9. Disruptive – disturbing the status quo
10. Ecosystem – used interchangeably to mean network or inter-dependencies
11. Scalable – ability to make the business into something much bigger
12. Lots of Moving Parts – several working components to manage
13. Organic Growth – strengthening using own energy and resources
14. Circle Back – to revisit an issue.
15. Hard Stop – non-negotiable end of a meeting usually announced at the start
16. Mission Critical – Something that is essential to the survival of the business
17. Ping – contact
18. 30,000-Foot View – the big picture
19. Bucket – organise information into similar groups